Anime reviews, commentary, streaming schedules, and educational memes for American anime fans
Recent Full Reviews
NEWEST UPDATES (1/22/2023)
Here’s the newest:
- The Winter 2023 Preview Guide is complete; see it here.
- The daily streaming schedule for the Winter 2023 season can be found here. It has been updated to be in order by day rather than premier date.
- Episode reviews for the 2nd half of Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV are continuing with episode 12.
- 2022: The Best and Strangest (my annual yearly wrap-up) can be found here.
- A review for the first two Princess Principal OVAs has been posted.
- Reviews have also recently been posted for Raven of the Inner Palace and Management of a Novice Alchemist (and episodes which have aired since those reviews were posted have not changed my opinions on either).
- A couple of older reviews have also been updated based on details that have come up in content released since those reviews were written. See 86 episode 10 and Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night, the latter of which now include commentary on the recently-released English dub.
- At least a couple more full reviews will be posted before the end of the year, which will definitely include The Eminence in Shadow and the Isekai Quartet movie (which is due out on Crunchyroll on 12/22). The Laid-Back Camp movie and Akiba Maid War are also strong possibilities, and I’m open to requests about Fall 2022 titles that I haven’t already written about.
- The Archive should get a long-overdue major update within the next week or so as well.
- If you followed Mushoku Tensei, “Extra Episode” 24 is now available on Funimation (but, notably, not Crunchyroll). I heartily recommend it for any franchise fan, especially if you’re a fan of Eris.
- Reviews for the final two episodes of 86 have been posted here (ep 22) and here (ep 23).
- A special season-ending review for In the Land of Leadale has also been posted.
- A review for the BD release of Interspecies Reviewers can be found here.
- A review for the dubbed version of the movie Belle can be found here.
- A review for the full series The Heike Story has been posted here.
- A full series review for Selection Project can be found here.
- Per a reader request, the Review Archives page are being periodically updated with indexed links to all episode reviews to date.
Greetings! I am Theron Martin, and this my revamp of a defunct older site into my new anime blog.
This blog will primarily focus on reviews and commentary on anime titles, light novels, and manga that are currently or recently available via legal means in the U.S. It will also offer the following:
- Occasional full reviews of older titles
- Recommendations for fans of various genres (pending)
- A chart showing which titles are streaming where (and when) each season
- Commentary on the DanMachi Memoria Freese mobile game. (I never got this feature going, but will if there’s any interest.)
- Education-themed anime memes, which teachers are welcome to copy and use themselves
Why Follow My Blog?
Most anime blogs will not offer any of #3-5 above (especially #5). Many do offer reviews and commentary, but I can offer one thing that most of them don’t: experience.
I first started writing amateur anime reviews for the original version of USA Anime back in 2003. At the beginning of 2005, I joined the writing staff of Anime News Network and became a professional. From then until the end of March 2021, I did reviews, feature articles, and (rarely) interviews and convention reports for the site, as well as regularly contributing to seasonal features like the Preview Guide and “Best of Season/Year.” In all, more than 3,000 written pieces on the site have my byline; you can see an example of one of my most recent feature pieces here and my last full-length review for the site here. So you can expect a more practiced and organized delivery than on most other anime blogs, one backed by deep and broad familiarity with most anime genres and conventions. Because of my Preview Guide work for ANN, I can also honestly say that I have at least sampled 90% or more of the non-hentai TV series that have come out in the past decade.
What you won’t get, however, is an elitist attitude! My tastes run much more towards populist fare than auteur shows, so I won’t, for instance, automatically dismiss heavy fan service titles. (I even considered Interspecies Reviewers one of the top anime titles of 2020.)
My current plan is to choose 1-2 titles a season to do weekly episode reviews for, while also offering briefer (i.e., paragraph-length) commentary on others among the 10-12 titles I typically follow each season. This will begin with the Spring 2021 season.
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.