Anime reviews, commentary, streaming schedules, and educational memes for American anime fans
NEWEST UPDATES (1/13/2022)
- The seasonal chart for the Winter 2022 season is now up in Streaming Schedules. An ordered-by-day chart will be put up after the last title debuts (on the 22nd).
- The Fall Preview Guide is now complete, save for one or two remaining strays coming in over the next week and a half. See the Blog page for the full list!
- I am planning to continue episode reviews of How The Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom. I do not have a second candidate firmly in mind, so I am open to suggestions/recommendations if there’s anything you particularly want to see covered.
- A review for the full series The Heike Story has been posted here.
- A full series review for Selection Project can be found here.
- The Fall 2021 Wrap-Up can be found here.
- The Best of 2021 feature can be found here.
- Per a reader request, the Review Archives page are being periodically updated with indexed links to all episode reviews to date.
Greetings! I am Theron Martin, and this my revamp of a defunct older site into my new anime blog.
This blog will primarily focus on reviews and commentary on anime titles, light novels, and manga that are currently or recently available via legal means in the U.S. It will also offer the following:
- Occasional full reviews of older titles
- Recommendations for fans of various genres (pending)
- A chart showing which titles are streaming where (and when) each season
- Commentary on the DanMachi Memoria Freese mobile game. (I never got this feature going, but will if there’s any interest.)
- Education-themed anime memes, which teachers are welcome to copy and use themselves
Why Follow My Blog?
Most anime blogs will not offer any of #3-5 above (especially #5). Many do offer reviews and commentary, but I can offer one thing that most of them don’t: experience.
I first started writing amateur anime reviews for the original version of USA Anime back in 2003. At the beginning of 2005, I joined the writing staff of Anime News Network and became a professional. From then until the end of March 2021, I did reviews, feature articles, and (rarely) interviews and convention reports for the site, as well as regularly contributing to seasonal features like the Preview Guide and “Best of Season/Year.” In all, more than 3,000 written pieces on the site have my byline; you can see an example of one of my most recent feature pieces here and my last full-length review for the site here. So you can expect a more practiced and organized delivery than on most other anime blogs, one backed by deep and broad familiarity with most anime genres and conventions. Because of my Preview Guide work for ANN, I can also honestly say that I have at least sampled 90% or more of the non-hentai TV series that have come out in the past decade.
What you won’t get, however, is an elitist attitude! My tastes run much more towards populist fare than auteur shows, so I won’t, for instance, automatically dismiss heavy fan service titles. (I even considered Interspecies Reviewers one of the top anime titles of 2020.)
My current plan is to choose 1-2 titles a season to do weekly episode reviews for, while also offering briefer (i.e., paragraph-length) commentary on others among the 10-12 titles I typically follow each season. This will begin with the Spring 2021 season.
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.