Anime reviews, commentary, streaming schedules, and educational memes for American anime fans
Recent Full Reviews
NEWEST UPDATES (10/14/2022)
Here’s the newest:
- The Fall Preview Guide has been active here for the past couple of weeks. The last debut of the main preview season is The Little Lies We All Tell on 10/15, so it will remain stickied in the Blog thread through the 16th and then I will return to normal review mode. It will briefly go back to the top when Arknights debuts on 10/28 and maybe when Kancolle s2 debuts on 11/3. (I may possibly just do a full review on that one at the end of the season.) To Your Eternity p2 will not be covered.
- A new full review for Summer Time Rendering has been posted. See the button above!
- Full reviews can be expected in upcoming weeks for the second half of Bastard!! and (when I get around to watching it) the second half of Tiger & Bunny 2. There are one or two other Summer ’22 series that I may also write up if I have time.
- Episode reviews will start next week for one or two series. I am currently most leaning towards reviewing Raven of the Inner Palace and then highlighting one other series a week on a rotating basis. If there is something else amongst the following list (which is my probable view list for the season) that you’d like to see weekly reviews for, let me know: MSG: Witch From Mercury, Beast Tamer, Shinobi no Ittoki, The Eminence in Shadow, Reincarnated as a Sword, Akiba Maid War, Bibliophile Princess, Chainsaw Man, Bocchi the Rock!, Urusei Yatsura, Spy x Family s2, and maybe I’m The Villainess.
- The Season Schedules page has been updated for the Fall 2022 season.
- If you followed Mushoku Tensei, “Extra Episode” 24 is now available on Funimation (but, notably, not Crunchyroll). I heartily recommend it for any franchise fan, especially if you’re a fan of Eris.
- Reviews for the final two episodes of 86 have been posted here (ep 22) and here (ep 23).
- The Spring ’22 Preview Guide is available here.
- A special season-ending review for In the Land of Leadale has also been posted.
- A review for the BD release of Interspecies Reviewers can be found here.
- A review for the dubbed version of the movie Belle can be found here.
- A review for the full series The Heike Story has been posted here.
- A full series review for Selection Project can be found here.
- Per a reader request, the Review Archives page are being periodically updated with indexed links to all episode reviews to date.
Greetings! I am Theron Martin, and this my revamp of a defunct older site into my new anime blog.
This blog will primarily focus on reviews and commentary on anime titles, light novels, and manga that are currently or recently available via legal means in the U.S. It will also offer the following:
- Occasional full reviews of older titles
- Recommendations for fans of various genres (pending)
- A chart showing which titles are streaming where (and when) each season
- Commentary on the DanMachi Memoria Freese mobile game. (I never got this feature going, but will if there’s any interest.)
- Education-themed anime memes, which teachers are welcome to copy and use themselves
Why Follow My Blog?
Most anime blogs will not offer any of #3-5 above (especially #5). Many do offer reviews and commentary, but I can offer one thing that most of them don’t: experience.
I first started writing amateur anime reviews for the original version of USA Anime back in 2003. At the beginning of 2005, I joined the writing staff of Anime News Network and became a professional. From then until the end of March 2021, I did reviews, feature articles, and (rarely) interviews and convention reports for the site, as well as regularly contributing to seasonal features like the Preview Guide and “Best of Season/Year.” In all, more than 3,000 written pieces on the site have my byline; you can see an example of one of my most recent feature pieces here and my last full-length review for the site here. So you can expect a more practiced and organized delivery than on most other anime blogs, one backed by deep and broad familiarity with most anime genres and conventions. Because of my Preview Guide work for ANN, I can also honestly say that I have at least sampled 90% or more of the non-hentai TV series that have come out in the past decade.
What you won’t get, however, is an elitist attitude! My tastes run much more towards populist fare than auteur shows, so I won’t, for instance, automatically dismiss heavy fan service titles. (I even considered Interspecies Reviewers one of the top anime titles of 2020.)
My current plan is to choose 1-2 titles a season to do weekly episode reviews for, while also offering briefer (i.e., paragraph-length) commentary on others among the 10-12 titles I typically follow each season. This will begin with the Spring 2021 season.
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.